Six months ago I had no idea what a portfolio review really was. I’ve been immersed in photography for 25 years now, but didn’t see the value of it, or the need. Naively I thought that I could figure it all out myself and promote my work without the help of anyone else. I’ve always done everything by myself, without outside feedback, and I’ve still done fairly well. However, without a doubt the single most valuable thing I’ve done recently was sign up for Review LA. Just knowing that the event was coming up kicked my butt into gear, and I found myself spending more time on the fine art work, simply so as not to embarrass myself when I got there. I mean, hell, I spent all that money and I sure wasn’t going to let it go to waste or let such a great opportunity pass me by. I made new prints, thought long and hard about my edit, produced a couple of leave behinds, completely redesigned my website with 90% new work, and printed a book of my primary series. Without Review LA I probably would have done maybe one or two of these things at the most. My own list of deadlines kept me from being the typical procrastinator I often tend to be. By the way, this is the very first time I’ve ever made a blog post. I had no idea how to, even as simple as it is, so add one more thing to the new experience list for me.
Looking back, after completing seven formal reviews and the open review on Friday night, I realize that it goes way beyond the input you get from your reviewers. Don’t get me wrong, their words are so extremely valuable that it simply goes without saying. The new friends and camaraderie make you feel empowered to go further and continue no matter what anyone has to say about your work. Clearly your work is the priority, but it seems that it almost takes second place to the new relationships with your fellow photographers. I made many new friends and became so much closer to the existing ones. We’ve talked and looked at one another’s work, been honest and forthcoming about our wins and losses, and made future plans to do more together. I learned about other reviews across the country and have already made tentative plans to attend some of them with the people I’ve grown so close to in such a small space of time. The amount of money you spend on a review pales in comparison to the benefits you receive. I had several people question the “pay to play” idea of spending your hard earned cash to get feedback from reviewers. I would have spent the money just to show up and meet the people I now know, even if I had not shown any work. These personal relationships are what will keep a person going even through the most troubling of professional times.
I’ll say it this way…the best thing I’ve done for my photography in many years is attend a portfolio review. The benefits cannot be measured. When Review LA comes around next year I will be there, and I hope you will too. You won’t be disappointed, even if I have to make sure of it myself. I want to thank all of those I’ve met during the process, as well as the fine people at Center for putting on such an organized and professional operation. I cannot wait until the next review comes around and I get to surround myself with such awesome people! I hope to see you there!
5 comments:
Well said Michael! I echo your thoughts, and agree that participating in Review LA was one the best things I have ever been a part of. Not only did I receive great encouragement and advice from my reviewers, my fellow photographers and people who stopped by my table during the open review, but I met and hung out with so many amazing people over the course of three days. I too am starting to apply to more reviews for this year, and will certainly be a part of Review LA next year. It was well worth the financial investment, which seems a nominal fee in retrospect.
I'm SO proud of all of you!!!
I don’t think I could say it better than Michael Kirchoff, one of my new photography friends. I had 3 reviews scheduled, signed up for 2 additional and wished I had scheduled more. Each time I met a reviewer, they gave me more insight into what my work might become. I was energized and excited and exhausted when the weekend was over and I look forward to doing it again. I learned a lot and made many new friends. What else can I ask for? Thank you CENTER and everyone involved in making the weekend work.
My compliments, Michael, on your impassioned post and your ability to say it like it is: taking part in Review LA was a whole lot more than showing work to reviewers and the public. It was likewise, in my case, an opportunity to work harder than I would have otherwise, making new prints, writing artist statements that had to be perfect, making sure I had my act together and packed into a portfolio case. In short, the run-up to the reviews was a thrill because it made me take myself more seriously as a photographer.
I am also impressed by noting how one person can spark another, can spark a whole community. Had it not been for the gracious encouragement of Aline Smithson, I might still be sitting on my hands or chasing my own personal deadlines. Aline, via her Next Step I workshop, nudged me to sign up for ReviewLA, made me believe I would not fall on my face, and, in a general sense, inspired me to look at all sorts of work and to see value in it. I have come to believe that by virtue of participating in the fine art photography community, life has become richer and more interesting.
Thank you, Aline, for your unselfish and dynamic efforts (I heard you were blowing up balloons for hours before Sat.'s ball) to form a community of photographers in LA; your gift of educating and cheering us on is extraordinary.
Michael - I met you on the phone when you shared your experience with Type 55 to me about a month ago. Thank you for that and for this post about the review. it makes me think it will be worth looking into next year.
My goal is to have at least one new body of work complete by the end of this year with Type 55.
So thanks for the tips and the review of the review!
Hope to meet you some day.
Post a Comment